Thursday, January 31, 2013

January 31, 2013:  Believe or not I made it out riding today. There were some instances were I was regretting this decision.  I was surprised how much I got blown around by 30 to 40 mph wind gusts at times.  It really sucked as a headwind or off your 10 to 11 o'clock as you were trying to go uphill.

Yes, the wind took it out of me.  When I put my gear on it was barely over 50 degrees.  It dropped steadily during my ride.  Through in the wind and it was cold, damn cold.  Fortunately I was layered with a wind breaker, fleece, and thermal on my top, riding shorts and pants on the bottom.  I should have opted for the three finger gloves but went conventional gloves with riding gloves over them.  I did not suffer to much.

My time did suffer.  I can tell that the holidays played hell and not being out on the road since late October had its drawbacks.  My average speed was slightly better than 12 mph.   I would do this same route in the summer at close to 15 to 18 mph, but I did not have the cold and wind.  I also only did 15.8 miles.

The one thing I did get out of today is that hopefully this year I will get at least one ride in every month of the year.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment